Our History

The history of Logan Regional Medical Center is a rich one. From its inception, the hospital has continued to improve its care and its facilities throughout the years. We're proud to take you on the journey from the hospital's beginning through the present day and into the future - where we are still expanding our services, obtaining state-of-the-art technology, and have built on an Emergency Department and Women's Center. Now for our beginning.....

Logan General Hospital began when several doctors and businessmen constructed a five-story 95 bed hospital that opened its doors in 1926.

When the hospital was incorporated in 1928, the name became Hatfield-Lawson Hospital. And in 1934, the name was changed to Logan General Hospital. Until 1967, the hospital continued to be owned and managed by three doctors until it was purchased by a corporation. Logan Medical Foundation, a community non-profit organization was formed in 1969, became responsible for managing the hospital.

Logan General Hospital built a new $4.6 million dollar facility, made up of 110 beds and 12 bassinets, which opened in February 1975. More than half of the new innovative five-story facility projects 44 feet out over the Guyandotte River bank. The hospital's cantilever's construction is supported by eight large concrete piers. In 1983, the Hospital began an expansion and renovation project which included the construction of an additional floor, the renovation of portions of the existing building, additions to the ground and first floors, and the construction of a new six-level tower adjoining the existing building. The construction of a new three story medical office building adjacent to the main hospital building was also undertaken. The medical office building housed hospital-based physician's group practices. The 1983 project resulted in an addition of 27 beds and was completed in 1985.

Guyan Valley Hospital, a critical access facility, was purchased in June 1983 by Aracoma Medical Foundation, a non-profit corporation. The Aracoma Foundation and The Logan Medical Foundation shared the same Board of Directors. January 1993 brought yet another expansion for Logan General by the addition of Doctors' Park. This facility, located on the east end of the hospital's campus, houses various physicians' offices. August 20, 1994 saw the dedication of the Kruger Medical Plaza which was named after long time physician and Board Member, I. M. Kruger, M.D. Kruger Medical Plaza is a four story building which also houses various physician offices. As Logan General's services grew, so did the number of employees. In 1994, the hospital expanded the parking facilities on its main campus by adding more than 300 parking spaces at the east end of the hospital's campus.

In December 2002 LifePoint Hospitals® purchased Logan General Hospital. The name of the hospital was changed to Logan Regional Medical Center (LRMC). With this acquisition, came additional growth for the hospital. Remodeling and renovations for the hospital included new interior and exterior signage; hospital services were relocated to make room for new physicians in the Kruger Medical Plaza and in Doctors Park.

The Medical Office Building was updated and remodeled for different services, and in the hospital the third, fourth and fifth floors were brought up to date along with many other renovations . The financial services relocated to downtown Logan to provide better access for the community. A newly renovated $1.1 million dollar Physical Rehabilitation Unit opened October 1, 2003. We continue to grow as in 2006 a start of the art 22 bed Emergency Services Center was built as well as Womens Services Center.  In the Womens Center LRMC offers private rooms with walk in showers, 3 Labor and Delivery Rooms, and much more.  Cath Lab was added in the main hospital in June 2011. And, several new physicians have joined the medical staff. History continues to unravel as we move forward in many projects to serve our community with Quality Healthcare Close to Home.